Recent Posts and Articles
- 00:00 - Agenda.
- 01:31 - Elections: the number of people voted has dropped since last year. There is a tie on the 5th place, so the Steering Committee has 6 members for the next year: Benedek, Bertrand, Piotr, Sébastien, Sipke, Zoltán. The Steering Committee elected Sipke to be the new Benevolent Dictator, so he will have a test drive of this position next week.
- 04:57 - Discussion regarding an issue on GH related to the new Resources module. People should submit suggestions for discussion as issues on GitHub, so they can be discussed in their absence too. Orchard's Gitter channel has a nice traffic.
- 30:30 - Status. A bunch of bugfixes and PRs. Márk from Lombiq is the newest member of core contributors for Orchard.
- 43:48 - Demo by Sipke - Layouts Snippets improvements: a snippet is a Layout element that corresponds to a template file and is resolved dynamically based on the naming convention that the file name should end with "Snippet", e.g. "SipkeIsTheNewDictatorSnippet.cshtml". The addition is that now you can parameterize/configure them (by providing values in the Layout editor). Sipke also explained some interesting technical details about Layouts.
- 51:43 - Demo by Sébastien - Orchard 2 improvements: all data can now be stored in a DB (SQL Server). Lightning DB support also added (one file, memory-mapped, super fast). Content* classes stripped down, there's also ContentItem, which is a specific document, so different versions of a content item are actually separate ContentItem instances (= separate documents) connected by a common ContentItemId property - this also leads to significant simplifications in the Content Manager and content items (being pure POCO) can now be cached directly. Sébastien and Taylor are working on a clever way to use shapes mixed with Tag Helpers (check out the relevant presentation from Harvest).
- 00:00 - Recap of last week's meeting.
- 02:46 - Agenda.
- 03:46 - Elections: votes are closed, results to be announced soon. Benevolent Dictator will be chosen next week.
- 06:25 - Status.
- 15:05 - Demo by Sipke: a new ElementHarvester implementation to be able to add Widgets to the Layout editor.
- 38:10 - Orchard 2 updates by Sébastien.
How to create a custom slider form element? There are several moving parts and it gets even more interesting when you develop custom validators and binders along with it. Developing form elements is somewhat like developing custom layout elements but a bit more involved.
I almost thought I would need to create a new Form Element for Dynamic Forms, but then I found the ever so lovely Anti-Spam Elements for Dynamic Forms.
Orchard Layouts introduced in Orchard CMS 1.9 provides elements that can be placed on the layout canvas. Orchard Layouts has a number of built-in elements, but of course, you can build custom elements for specific needs in your Orchard Website.
Orchard Layouts is new to Orchard CMS 1.9 and one of the features it contains is snippets. I wasn't sure how useful snippets would be given they don't include an editor, but depending on the website they can be very useful for inserting reusable, stand-alone HTML fragments into the orchard website.
The new LayoutPart adds a lot of flexibility to building out pages in Orchard with the ability to add structure and elements to each page. If the already existing elements don’t suit your needs you can create a custom element and reuse that element where needed; although, there will be situations where a custom element does not fully suit your needs either. There are only so many alternates set up for elements, so one challenge we were faced with was figuring out how to reuse the same element and be able to apply different markup when needed./p>