Recent Posts and Articles
So you've got a bunch of Page content items in your Orchard instance, but nowadays Orchard is getting popular and everybody has Page content items. But you started to use Orchard before it got cool and Pages are now too mainstream. How can you make your existing Pages unique again?
There are plenty of articles and stackoverflow discussions on the topic of how to (quickly) retrieve some random rows from a SQL database. I wanted to get something to work simply and quickly, not necessarily high performance. Incorporating any kind of hand-crafted SQL query was really the last option since it would mean to get hold of an ISessionLocator instance to get at the underlying NHibernate ISession to then create a custom SQL query and execute it. Not my favorite path, really. Luckily, the IContentManager interface contains the method HqlQuery which returns an IHqlQuery containing interesting details.
Easily override meta tags displayed by Orchard CMS by overriding the Metas Shape. ResourceManager in Orchard CMS keeps track of the meta tags in your website and displays them using the Metas Shape. You can override this shape in your Orchard Theme to remove certain meta tags, add meta tags, and filter meta tags. Although you will have to write a bit of Razor Code in your Orchard View, it is far simpler than creating an Orchard Module or modifying the Orchard Source Code.
NimblePros created a Featured Item Slider Module for Orchard CMS, but it does not work with Orchard CMS 1.7 and the Media Library. A client of mine wanted to use this slider in a new Orchard 1.7 website, so I went ahead and created a new version that works with Orchard 1.7 and the Media Library. In addition to upgrading the Featured Item Slider to work with the Media Library, I also fixed a couple bugs and upgraded the ColorPicker and Slimbox jQuery Plugins to work with the new version of jQuery in Orchard CMS.
You need to modify the web.config in the Orchard.Web folder. If you installed Glimpse using NuGet, it added two settings to the web.config to tell the web server to use Glimpse to handle the glimpse.axd resource.
The problem is the Orchard.Web\web.config file's
<handlers>sections both include a catch all handler to block all resources by default, and the Glimpse settings get added after the catch alls. You just need to move the glimpse entries to appear before the catch alls.
Did you know that there is a module (and a Core module!) in Orchard called Reports? Probably you did because since it's always enabled, you always see its menu item on the admin site. But have you used it at all? Ah, so you haven't either! Let's change this by shortly looking at how it works.
- Release date for Orchard 1.7.3 or 1.8: 28th of February or 3rd of March.
- Status: a few fixes since last week, including Markdown support.
- Mega-triage: 218 proposed, triaged 19 of them.
- New Orchard websites: http://particular.net/, http://omniaconnect.net/, http://dorlandhealth.com/, http://www.trentia.es/, http://www.linchiestaquotidiano.it/, http://bodylogicmd.com/.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
- Status: several small additions and changes in the last week: e.g. feature selector list for tenants made nicer, blogpost and blog archives count fixed/improved.
- Daniel Stolt's demo on culture-specific calendars and datepickers. You can select a default calendar pattern (e.g. Japanese, Persian) for your site to adapt the behaviour of dates according to the request's culture. Besides that Daniel refactored how Orchard handles dates in various places (removed the duplications and created one, consistent implementation called IDateManager). These changes are not yet pulled into the source at the moment.
- Discussion about the possibility to setup an Orchard instance only to serve as an API-endpoint without UI. Separate module in the gallery or core module? Recipe-based setup and multi-tenancy integration mentioned.
- Bertrand's demo: CustomSortAdmin (added to the Vandelay.Industries module): a projection query sort criteria provider that enables you to add custom ordering to the items in the query.
- New Orchard websites: http://transas.com/, http://www.galpinvolkswagen.com/, http://shipleyglentramway.co.uk/, http://www.hondaofdecatur.com/, http://healthedeals.com/, http://www.futurederm.com/, http://muthco.com/.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary