Recent Posts and Articles
Earlier I developed a custom image filter that displays copyright text and text watermarks on photos for Orchard CMS Media Processing. This time I created a custom grayscale image filter, which converts a color photo to black and white. This could be very useful for displaying porfolios and photo galleries in Orchard CMS. Image filters and media processing are part of Orchard CMS 1.7.
Managing dependencies in any project presents challenges, but open source adds its own constraints. In the wake of the release by Microsoft of new and useful libraries that are unfortunately encumbered by unfortunate licensing restrictions, I thought it would be a good time to summarize how we do things here in the Orchard project, both to get feedback and to give ideas to others facing similar challenges.
- Tutorial on dynamic permissions by Sébastien (partially shown).
- Status of 1.7: bugfixing is still under way, coming soon.
- Sébastien did some solo triaging and several important issues were fixed.
- Triage: 26 active yet for 1.7.
- HTML encoding filter for comments removed (it was added ~8 months ago).
- Upgrading process changed a bit: if you use the old Media/Taxonomies modules, upgrading your source won't force you to upgrade to the new modules. When you decide to upgrade to the new modules, you can enable them and then start the data migration process with a few clicks. The upgrading of media content may be slow, it's under investigation.
- New websites: http://enterprisestudy.com, http://selectcamp.co.uk (and http://patient.co.uk still runs on Orchard :) ).
- Where the Orchard Harvest videos will be uploaded is still a question, maybe Channel9. The videos will be awesome!
- Possible feature for 1.8: Deployment! Sébastien already has design plans, they will be revealed and discussed soon.
- The Codeplex repository of Orchard may soon be converted to Git, while keeping the history intact. Forks and pull requests must be handled manually. Moving to GitHub is also a possibility, although less likely.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
I love the extensibility hooks in Orchard CMS. Recently I created a new activity for the Orchard CMS Workflow Module, which was a lot of fun. Now I created a new image filter that can be activated either independently though a custom media shape or as part of Media Profiles in the new Media Processing Module in Orchard CMS.
Orchard has some great extensibility hooks. This post will show you how to very quickly use one to add a diagnostic section to the top of each page.
This tutorial shows you how to run Orchard on your development machine (that doesn't run Windows Server) not with Visual Studio's built-in Cassini webserver, but using a proper IIS webserver. As the database we'll use a standard SQL Server database, that's advised for non-trivial production installations, unlike SQL CE.
- Media: dogfooding revealed too many problems during and after migration from file system to taxonomies. Refactored to use the file system like it used to. In terms of end-user behavior it's the same but the implementation is totally different.
- New Orchard sites: http://corospondent.com/, http://www.selectcamp.co.uk/, http://jandloil.com/, http://transas.com/, http://www.aaaflag.com/, http://dmh.co.at/, http://www.appburst.com/, http://www.diabetescareclub.com/
- A couple of sites left, because of hosting and usability problems. We need to improve the editing experience in future versions. Nick is mentioning Ghost: http://tryghost.org/
Squarespace is also something to take inspiration from. Also, http://froont.com/
- Making TinyMCE more customizable could help a lot.
- Demo: CTRL+SHIFT+A keyboard shortcut to select all checkboxes on any admin page. This is the beginning of keyboard shortcuts. Will wait until after 1.7 to push.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary