Recent Posts and Articles
I upgraded this Orchard 1.6.1 website to Orchard 1.7 RC for practice to make sure 1) there weren't any surprises, 2) get ready for client upgrades, ands 3) test the Orchard CMS 1.7 upgrade to report any problems. The upgrade was simple and painless given I have done Orchard Website upgrades for the past 3 years and I continually keep my websites on the latest release of Orchard CMS. Despite the new Media Library and changes in Taxonomy Module, Output Cache Module, and Content Picker, upgrading my website to Orchard 1.7 was a breeze.
- 1.7 RC is here, try it! Waiting for last feedback, then we'll start publication on WebPI and make it the default release when it's publicly available on WebPI.
- Changes in the package: we are now shipping all packages in the release. This makes it much simpler and will avoid questions about where those modules are. OutputCache is enabled by default. Taxonomies and workflows are there but not enabled. Rules, Media, Media Picker and Lists are obsoleted, so won't be in the web package but will be in the source in a separate Modules.Deprecated solution folder.
- If you upgrade from a previous version, you'll have to enable the Upgrade feature, and then go through the process exposed by the new admin menu entry. After this, you can disable the old Taxonomies, Media and Media Picker modules, and even delete them.
- Zoltán demos OrchardRoutePermissions module: add some permissions based on a regular expression on routes. This is an easy way to protect resources served by a custom controller. This won't effectively protect content items.
- New web sites: http://www.naturelife-international.org, http://www.makeitmakati.com/, http://www.seguridadvial.gov.ar, http://transas.ru/#industry, http://tiesas.lv/, http://www.euservices.com/, http://sima.dk/, http://www.us.advancedtech.com/
- Content item all the things discussion: take away is that we should make sure that cross-cutting services such as audit trails, import/export or permissions can be applied to more than content items, even if they have shortcuts for content items. There is still some disagreement about whether workflows specifically should be content items, but we won't change that for the moment.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
Earlier I developed a custom image filter that displays copyright text and text watermarks on photos for Orchard CMS Media Processing. This time I created a custom grayscale image filter, which converts a color photo to black and white. This could be very useful for displaying porfolios and photo galleries in Orchard CMS. Image filters and media processing are part of Orchard CMS 1.7.
Managing dependencies in any project presents challenges, but open source adds its own constraints. In the wake of the release by Microsoft of new and useful libraries that are unfortunately encumbered by unfortunate licensing restrictions, I thought it would be a good time to summarize how we do things here in the Orchard project, both to get feedback and to give ideas to others facing similar challenges.
- Tutorial on dynamic permissions by Sébastien (partially shown).
- Status of 1.7: bugfixing is still under way, coming soon.
- Sébastien did some solo triaging and several important issues were fixed.
- Triage: 26 active yet for 1.7.
- HTML encoding filter for comments removed (it was added ~8 months ago).
- Upgrading process changed a bit: if you use the old Media/Taxonomies modules, upgrading your source won't force you to upgrade to the new modules. When you decide to upgrade to the new modules, you can enable them and then start the data migration process with a few clicks. The upgrading of media content may be slow, it's under investigation.
- New websites: http://enterprisestudy.com, http://selectcamp.co.uk (and http://patient.co.uk still runs on Orchard :) ).
- Where the Orchard Harvest videos will be uploaded is still a question, maybe Channel9. The videos will be awesome!
- Possible feature for 1.8: Deployment! Sébastien already has design plans, they will be revealed and discussed soon.
- The Codeplex repository of Orchard may soon be converted to Git, while keeping the history intact. Forks and pull requests must be handled manually. Moving to GitHub is also a possibility, although less likely.
Brought to you by: Orchard Hungary
I love the extensibility hooks in Orchard CMS. Recently I created a new activity for the Orchard CMS Workflow Module, which was a lot of fun. Now I created a new image filter that can be activated either independently though a custom media shape or as part of Media Profiles in the new Media Processing Module in Orchard CMS.
Orchard has some great extensibility hooks. This post will show you how to very quickly use one to add a diagnostic section to the top of each page.