Recent Posts and Articles
- Status: several small changes and bugfixes since last week. FirstMediaUrl property has been added to MediaLibraryPickerField. "None" as a build action is allowed in projects for the following types: LESS, SCSS, SASS, TypeScript, CoffeeScript, MarkDown, so you can opt-out from deploying them. Daniel made further development on the DateLocalization feature and then it was merged into 1.x. AuditTrail and Layouts are also under development by Daniel and Sipke. Several PRs have been pulled in (significant portion of them coming from Stanley). Sébastien fixed a bug in the OWIN feature branch so it's working nicely (but the SpecFlow tests all fail yet). Nick is working hard on the RTL-support.
- The title of today's meeting: "The day of many demos".
- Demo by Nick - RTL support for the Dashboard: users with access to the Dashboard now have the ability to select a different culture setting for editing content (from the list of cultures added to the site settings). When the selected culture is an RTL one, the whole Dashboard's layout and localization is transformed into RTL.
- Demo by Zoltán - Orchard as a NuGet package: the "lib" folder containing all the dependency DLLs and Orchard.Framework can be complied into NuGet packages, see the work done in the "feature/nuget" branch. This is a great supplementary solution for developers to use Orchard in different ways, like the Orchard Application Host. We've also discussed the possibility for self-upgrading Orchard. See the discussion about this feature.
- Demo by Piotr - keyboard shortcuts for the Dashboard: Ctrl+F will show you a ContentPicker with Search where you can select a content item, clicking on it will navigate you to its editor. Ctrl+S saves the content item, Ctrl+Shift+S toggles Published state. Correlates with Sipke's changes in the Admin search filter: toggling its visibility with Ctrl+M.
- Demo by Sipke - latest changes in the Layouts module: child Layouts are updated when their Master is modified. The grid has a fixed 12-column (maximum) span. Layouts can be converted into a Layout template. Templates can contain arbitrary elements and those can be inline-edited and customized/styled. When changing the layout with elements already added, the elements will be retained and positioned to the best available space.
- Localization contributors on Crowdin will be mentioned in the release notes alongside with the source code contributors.
- After a long time, we did bug triage again! We've reviewed ~15 bug reports, most of them are activated. There are some really easy-to-fix ones, so if you haven't contributed yet, you should try it by fixing one of these entry-level issues!
- Episode title: "Who did THIS???". :)
- 5 PRs have been reviewed:
- Token for IndentityPart.Identifier: awaiting a small fix to prevent NullReferenceException if the type doesn't have IdentityPart attached.
- Not draftable content item and publish later: awaiting updates.
- Doubleclick for item selection in Media Library: pulled in.
- Case insensitivity for "feature enable" command: GTG.
- ManageTags permission usage fix: GTG.
- Some of the changes made since last week in the source: AuditTrail is merged into 1.x, Daniel is finishing up the DateLocalization feature branch, Sébastien fixed a security issue regarding the default access level for Azure blob containers, Password shape added, all of Stanley's PRs that we reviewed last week are pulled in, fixed Control Wrapper permissions (edit links are not displayed if you don't have permission to edit), Redis libraries updated, jQuery Upload plugin updated, Nick fixed a StackoverFlowException in WebAPI.
- Starting with last week, we have an other meeting too on Thursdays in the same time (12PM PST (7PM UTC)) and place to triage bugs and review pull requests. Those meeting are also recorded and uploaded in this channel.
- Sébastien updated the documentation page "Contributing patches" with information and guidelines regarding PRs. The "Feature roadmap" is also updated with the feature list for Orchard 1.9, estimated release date is October.
- Demo by Zoltán - Orchard Application Host: a light-weight framework that allows you to write arbitrary code (console or web applications, anything) empowered with Orchard. You can install shells, use any theme or module, all the services, data access, logging, caching, it's all under your hands! It's open-source, waiting for you to try! You can also download some samples to get started.
- "New Orchard websites" is back with new Orchard websites! https://www.clcworldtravel.co.uk, http://upward.org, http://slicedbread.co.uk, http://unite4good.org, http://www.juicycouture.com.
- We also discussed the possibility to move Orchard's source to GitHub. The only downside is that GitHub doesn't have a forum or discussion board, but it could be solved by integrating Nick's Forums module with the Orchard website.
- Should we move to .NET 4.5.1? There wouldn't be any problems, but before that we have to make sure that the important hosting services support it.
- Is it possible to use Orchard as a NuGet package? Actually yes, here's the place for discussion.
Starting with this week, we're having another weekly online metup just for bug traiging and pull request reviews on every Thursday at 12PM PST (7PM UTC) in the same meeting room where the regular Orchard Podcasts are recorded, so join us during these meetings too for even more Orchard! Here's the video from the first one:
This time the meeting notes are not included in this post (because it's looong), but you can read them in the dedicated topic on the discussion board.
I'm slightly OCD when it comes to organising my settings in Orchard, of which I seem to have a vast amount. And luckily, Orchard has a nifty way of doing this for you and it is beautifully simple to implement.
On some websites that we develop the content types using Orchard CMS get quite big in regards to number of fields. This slows down the listing as each field requires extra processing to go fetch its content.
- Status: a lot of work has been done in the AuditTrail, Layouts and DateLocalization feature branches. Sébastien was working on performance and usability upgrades for Indexing and Lists.
- It's now possible to define different indexing settings for the Dashboard and front-end search! There's also a new setting to select what versions of the items should be included in the indices.
- A new property called "Listable" has been added to ContentTypeSettings, which defines whether the items of that type can be listed on the Contents page or not. Before that only the items of "Creatable" types could be listed, now those two are separated. ".Listable()" extension method has been added too for applying it to content types using data migrations. After upgrading your source, all "Creatable" types will be automatically set to "Listable" as well.
- Demo by Zoltán - TryOrchard: 5 test tenants have been set up on DotNest purely for testing and trying out Orchard. They are reinstalled every hour, so you can just play with Orchard without any registration or setup. There's also a walk-through for newcomers that displays tips about how to use the basic funtions.
- Some videos from this year's Orchard Harvest in Redmond has just been uploaded to the official YouTube channel of Orchard, and the rest of them are coming very soon!
- Before the next weekly meeting there will be a special meeting to triage bugs and review the currently active pull requests: join us on Thursday (31st of July) at the same time (12PM PST) and place and see the dedicated topic for more information and updates!